May 27, 2006

Sometimes nothin'...

"...can be a real cool hand."

I was stranded in Chicago after hours of waiting for my flight and shuffling from line to bureaucratically-infuriating line, eventually admitting impotent defeat and spending the night in the airport Hilton. I stumbled onto Cool Hand Luke and was astonished.

It's incredible if you've never seen it how many small things seem so familiar because they've since become part of the fabric of our culture. Even the music from one of the action scenes was used as the theme song for I think channel 7 news in Detroit when I was a kid. It's so full of tidbits that have been picked up and carried downstream that it has nearly achieved the status of archetype, familiar even when experiencing it for the first time, like the underlying tone behind a fable that you recognize even before you've heard it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home