Aug 26, 2006

It's things like this...

...that make the Navy so freaking cool.

A Navy diver just set the record for deepest dive off La Jolla, CA.
“At 2,000 feet, I had topside turn off all the lights, and it was like a star show. The phosphorescence that was naturally in the water and in most of the sea life down there started to glow," Jackson said. "When I started to travel back up, all the lights looked like a shower of stars going down as I was coming up. It was the best ride in the world.”
Chief Jackson, the diver, played up the teamwork involved in making a dive like this happen, saying "I was just a guy tied to a rope." A half-mile long rope hanging him into the depths of an environment so hostile it may as well be Pluto (which isn't a planet anymore but is still pretty unforgiving).
Not that I ever did anything even remotely as cool, but those kinds of opportunities are there for the taking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home