Nov 30, 2006

"stupid fun for smart people"

Tesla update.



All the good news about performance goals met was nice, but I dug that the author used the phrase "as shoulder-to-shoulder as striking Teamsters" when describing the tight interior of a car that could not have and will not ever come out of Detroit.

He also describes the odd, numb silence from the car in spite of its ballsy acceleration and mentions that one might want a recording of a rumbling engine - there's a business in there. Recordings of any car you could want, motorcycles too if you wanted to be weird, synchronized through your stereo to the tach or the transmission...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know if you ever got a chance to drive it, but a few times some guys from Ford came in for Garden Parties driving a completely electric Ranger. The first time they came in I thought the truck had stalled out as it pulled up, since the only noise was of the tires on the concrete. One of the guys had to show me how to start it up; because there was no rumbling of the engine to let you know to stop turning the key. It was almost like a diesel, in that you had to hold the key for a short time and then let off. While you did that, a gas-gauge like meter when from Off to On; when it got to On, you were running. Completely silent.

I can't wait for electric cars to hit the mainstream. If you haven't already, you should check out the recent documentary Who Killed The Electric Car. I think it should be out on DVD now.

9:08 AM  
Blogger jim said...

How cool, no, I wasn't there then, though I got schooled in a similar way when one of the guys, smiling, asked me to take a car that he could easily have hopped into. Turns out he had, and had the same reaction I did when I jumped in, reached for a steering wheel and gear shift, and just kind of seized up at the vertigo of being in a car configured for England. The confusion in my muscle memory made me just sit there for a second, dumbfounded before we both cracked up.

WKtEC: consider it netflix queued - thanks.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home