Jan 10, 2007

naming convention

When entering record stores (and forgetting what I want), trying to pick up girls in bars (and forgetting I'm funny), or sitting in front of a nameless blog or email account, I've always been immediately and utterly abandoned by everything that would be appropriate or cool, and I'm left to wonder later what in the hell I was thinking. Case in point, this blog, which started out with a name so stupid but which seemed very clever to me at the time. After not too long I deep-sixed the name (but not the URL) and asked for input, hence the current recursive blank of a name. But this morning, it dawned on me - why not use the same label I've used for other things (gear bags, cellphones, etc.)? A quick search indicates the closest item easily found is another blog, but it's called Bad Bad Juju (funny, too - on the first page you can laugh at a guy who accidentally shot himself a mile with a tree catapult, a palindrome about Teddy Roosevelt, a picture of a drunk dog, and an f-bomb-riddled story about the panicked shotgunning of wildlife).

I've always liked bad juju because it sounds like what it is. That's not to say that this renaming will make this wedge of the blog-o-pie any more edgy or bad, but if I stuck to a name that described it perfectly, I'd probably have to call it the 'The Eclectic But Not Polymath-ic, Run-On-Sentence-o-rama Surrounded by a White Picket Fence.' I like bad juju better, and it doesn't include any questionable words like polymath-ic.

So now that you've witnessed the endless pathetic hand-wringing that goes into every tentative step I take in the world, you'll be excused just this once if you strike me from your RSS reader - no bad juju if you act now. Tomorrow... you won't be so lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home