Jun 9, 2008

leaf blowers, part 2

Seriously. I just drove past a yahoo who was very fastidiously blowing every last blade of mown grass out into the street, well away from her curb. And no, this wasn't the same yahoo I posted about earlier. She didn't even stop as I had to drive through her little green cloud. Jesus. And even though double extra large t-shirts do a lot to hide their contents, they don't do so much as to reveal that this was a person who could've benefited greatly from using a human-powered broom for awhile.

Check this page out for more like the following:
  • There is no evidence of increase in the cost of lawn care when blowers are banned. (and think about the savings in fuel costs - essentially, lawncare companies could push that cost onto their workers, who would pay it in muscle effort)
  • Dick Roberts, organizer of Project Quiet Yards in Greenwich, Connecticut, told House & Garden in 1996, "We did a test on a half acre of grass clippings and found a rake was only ten minutes slower than a blower." That extra time would equate to less than one minute for a typical-size yard in my neighborhood.
  • Small gasoline engines create up to 20 percent of the air pollution in cities, particularly NOx and particulates



4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Basic weekly yard work takes me about four hours every week. Take away my blower and it would add another 40 minutes, easy. Why do you hate my free time?

12:08 PM  
Blogger doug said...

I don't seem to notice the leaf blowers as much as the yahoo's that need to spray the grey layer of dirt off of their grey cement driveways.

4:31 PM  
Blogger jim said...

I don't hate your free time, Chad, I'm just deeply, deeply envious of it, and that makes me bitter.

7:03 AM  
Blogger jim said...

BTW, FOUR HOURS A WEEK?! And that's your BASIC work? Holy crap. Do you lovingly pet each blade of grass and tell each bush how precious it is?

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home